It's All in the Hips

I am all about grooving to Rihanna's evocations of a poorly mannered young man's erectile difficulties. But hip-thrusting to "Rude Boy" with 25 middle-aged women at the Alexandria First Presbyterian Church in my small, rural hometown of "No, I Do Not Know Snooki," N.J., seems a little ... incongruous.
By Reina A.E. Gattuso

Not so during Zumba. When the fitness dance craze swept the nation, it swept me into the multipurpose room of my local church. And there I was on the morning of Christmas Eve, reunited with my favorite two dozen mostly white, almost uniformly middle-aged, and variably overweight ladies, ringing in the holidays with some good-'ol-fashioned booty shaking.

These women—classroom mothers, elementary school teachers, members of the Rosary Society and Ladies t—are not the people you would picture gyrating to reggaeton. But that's what I love about Zumba.

Where else but hometown Zumba can I join my retired high school English teacher—a tiny, flame-haired, flamboyantly Jersey woman—as she "back[s] it up like a Tonka truck;" or witness that church lady, who is roughly 75 years old and skinny as a breadstick, "jiggl[ing] that bit;" or cheer on my friend's mother as she "shake[s] it like a Polaroid picture?"

As the class nears its end, our instructor, Jeanie, whose personality is as peppy as her gluts are toned, pulls me to the front to help lead a song. As Jeanie models the move I am to follow—a pelvic scoop and gyration—I experience a moment of epiphany. My education, at home and school, is fluid: both college and Zumba have taught me a thing or two about hip-thrusting.

The ladies notice. "I'm not sending my daughter to Harvard!," someone shouts amid cheering as the song ends, and I, high on exercise-induced endorphins and the exhilaration of homecoming, return to my spot in the back.

For The MomentJ TermDanceOff CampusHoliday