Adams Auctions Off Estate Items...Sort Of

•

Adams residents who were at Junior Parents Weekend lunch on Saturday (especially those with doting Mom and Dad in tow) had the chance to score some whimsical House privileges—and the chance to stay in the restored FDR suite during next year’s commencement.

The Adams House auction, which featured live bidding and musical performances by students, is an annual fundraiser for HoCo that was first held last year.

“There’s a quote in the old Masters handbook that says something to the effect of: Allow something once, and it’s precedent. Allow it twice, and it’s tradition. I suppose this would be classified as a tradition,” said former HoCo Chair Omar Abdelsamad.

The auction, which was not limited to only juniors and their parents, took place the dining hall, which current HoCo Co-Chair Amol Jain said was filled to capacity.

So, just what prized possessions were being auctioned off? Check out the goods, including a chance to pie either of the House Masters Judy or Sean Palfrey, after the jump.

• The chance to pie either House Masters Judy or Sean Palfrey.

• Dinner with the House Masters.

• Breakfast in bed, cooked and delivered by the Adams house elves—dressed in elf costumes.

• Three original poetry broadsides—including one signed by visiting poet Richard Tillinghast—from the Bow and Arrow Press, Adams’s in-house printing press.

• Personalized graduation announcements, also printed at the Bow and Arrow Press.

• The chance for parents to stay at the FDR suite for five days during next year’s commencement.

Jain wouldn’t comment on who won what, or how much each prize cost, but we do know that Zachary C. Sifuentes, an Adams House tutor and resident poet, won the right to pie House Master Sean Palfrey.

“I bid on the auction with the sole intent of upping the bid—but I ended up with it,” Sifuentes said. “I think I'm going to give it away as a prize for some strange competition in the House. We'll see.”

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.