A Few Summer Ideas for the Less E-recruiting Inclined

If you are anything like most college students, right now you're probably agonizing over what to do this summer. The due dates for those summer internship applications—the ones that sat around gathering dust while you slept and ate during J-term—have come and gone, and you still haven't submitted a single one. For those of you who aren't interested in working at your hometown's Dairy Queen for the summer, here are a few internships and jobs (with deadlines that haven't yet passed!) in which you might be interested.

Want to be the next Obama? Think the dollar bill would look better with your face on it? Work for the Institute Of Politics.

What: The IOP arranges internships every year for undergraduates interested in politics and public service. IOP interns work in all industries, ranging from Amnesty International to MTV and Google.

Who: Harvard undergraduate rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors.

Where: Everywhere, including Washington, D.C., New York City, and even some abroad.

Pay: $4000 financial stipend, but no housing.

Apply By: Feb. 19

Do you still sleep with your favorite stuffed animal? Ever get jealous of the little kids in line at Build-a-Bear?

What: The Harvard Club of St. Louis is sponsoring 10 paid internships at Build-a-Bear this summer.

Who: All undergraduates and GSAS Master's students are eligible. Preference is given to those who aren't from the St. Louis area, but St. Louis residents are encouraged to apply as well.

Where: St. Louis, MO. Interns will be housed at Washington University in St. Louis along with interns from Princeton and Yale.

Pay: TBD. Housing is provided.

Apply By: Feb. 25 (Please note that students should apply through Crimson Careers.)

Want to go into education? Work at Breakthrough.

What: Breakthrough is a national non-profit organization that targets high potential, low income middle-school students, and helps high-achieving college students experience careers in education.

Who: Undergraduates in an accredited university.

Where: Breakthrough has sites all over the country, including one in Cambridge, MA.

Pay: Stipend for the summer, and housing is usually provided for college students who need it.

Apply By: Mar. 1

Interested in the cyberspace? Work at the Berkman Center this summer.

What: Summer interns work on projects related to media and journalism, policy, identity and privacy, civic engagement, education, technology, the developing world, and law. So pretty much everything.

Who: Everyone

Where: Cambridge, MA.

Pay: $11.50 an hour for 35 hours a week. Housing and transportation are not provided, so be prepared to budget your earnings.

Apply By: Mar. 5

So even if you've procrastinated, missed all the early due dates, and have already lined up a job selling ice cream to whiny kids, there is still hope! Your Dairy Queen friends will be jealous.

Student Life

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.