Spellbound by Freshmen

At Harvard, it’s not uncommon for your brilliant classmates to make you feel slightly inadequate. But take comfort in knowing that at the second annual Freshman Spelling Bee, several freshmen were stumped by the following (absolutely insane) words. How would you have fared in this dorm-versus-dorm competition? See for yourself. On your marks, get set, spell!

Bailiwick (Middle English): Superior aptitude or experience in a particular area

Rejoneador (Spanish): A bullfighter who fights on horseback

Oud (Arabic): Musical instrument of Southwest Asia and North Africa resembling a mandolin

Concupiscent (Latin): lustful

Abattoir (French): a slaughterhouse

Jabot (French): a single or tiered fall of lace worn in the 18th century

Sarsaparilla (Spanish): perennial trailing vine with prickly stem

Xiphoid (Greek): swordlike

Kirtle (Middle English): garment resembling tunic or coat from the 16th century

Fun fact: When freshman bee co-host George A. Thampy '10 (of "Spellbound" fame) competed in the National Spelling Bee in 1999, he misspelled "kirtle" as "curtle"—the same way that contestant Julie M. Zauzmer '13 did in this week's competition. “My sympathy was all with her in that moment,” he said. The error had cost Thampy the championship, causing him to place third. Fortunately for Zauzmer, her stakes were lower.

Now, for the winning word:

Zydeco (Creole/French): music of southern Louisiana involving the blues, French dance melodies, and elements of Caribbean music, featuring guitar, accordion, and a washboard

Congratulations to Jack A. Ausick ’13 of Greenough, Colin Zwanziger ’13 of Wigglesworth, and Zauzmer (who is also a Crimson editor) of Straus, who came in first, second and third respectively.  Really, if only spelling were an Olympic sport, Harvard frosh could totally dominate...

College

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.