Ramifications of a Late Thanksgiving

Let’s face it—most of us have been looking forward to Thanksgiving since Columbus Day weekend, especially since we had class on Veteran’s Day. Unfortunately, we’ll be waiting a long time, because if Thanksgiving decides to come any later, we might be celebrating it during spring break. While the consequences of this delayed celebration are numerous, here are four that get us more annoyed than tourists in our way taking photos of the John Harvard statue:

1. Less Time to Study for Finals
We wouldn’t have gotten into Harvard if at least some part of us didn’t engage in/ secretly enjoy studying. Having Thanksgiving this late means that crucial cramming time is lost to the festivities, and let’s just say your living room is no Widener. To cope with this precarious situation, consider renting a U-Haul to transport your textbooks and course packs home to study.

2. More Stressful Stretch to Thanksgiving
It seems like EVERY midterm and paper is due immediately before Thanksgiving and immediately after The Game. This translates into a November of pure misery, leaving most of us grudgingly admitting that we would surrender our collegiate independence for a piece of turkey and a slice of apple pie.

3. Difficulty Fitting into Formal Dresses
Winter formals are coming up, and with them the obligatory dress shopping and formalwear rentals. Typically, there is enough time post T-Day to lose a bit of the bloat that accompanies the trip home. However, with Thanksgiving so far back, your dress clothes are going to be tighter than your schedule during shopping week.

4. Torturously High Ticket Prices
Dropping a couple hundred on tickets home (for the few Harvard Students not hailing from Massachusetts), doesn’t seem like a big deal when Thanksgiving and J-Term seem as far apart as Convocation and Commencement, but with less than a month separating the two, spending all of your term-time earnings on one trip home when you’re going home again in less than a month can be a tearful experience.

Flyby BlogThanksgivingHolidayFlyby CampusFlyby Culture

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.