Harvard Today: November 12, 2014

•
By Zorigoo Tugsbayar

Happy Wednesday, Harvard! If you’re a sophomore, plan of study forms are due to the Registrar’s Office (20 Garden St) by 5 p.m. Declaring a concentration seems like a massive yet kind of anticlimactic moment—somehow printing out a form and having it signed by a tutor doesn’t give the moment the gravity it deserves. Or any gravity at all. We would have liked something a little more ceremonial to make everything official. I guess we'll just settle for the free cake in the dhalls instead. We hope you got some cake and were able to declare the concentration you wanted to! No matter what it was, we’re sure it’ll serve you equally well in your future work in finance or consulting.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

Today will be almost as beautiful as yesterday, with a high of 60 degrees and only a 20% chance of rain. It’ll be cloudier in the morning, but we should see some sunshine by the afternoon!

IN THE D-HALLS

Lunch

American Style Beef Stroganoff
Smoked Turkey Panini on Wheat Flatbread
Vegetable Lo Mein with Tofu

Dinner

Herb Roasted Chicken with Cacciatore Sauce
Roast Pork with Orange Chipolte (literally what it says on the HUDS website. What is “chipolte”? Everything about this confuses us)
Thai Green Curry with Vegetables

ON FLYBY

1) 5 Works You Shouldn’t Miss at the Harvard Art Museums: AKA, read this so you can pretend you’ve been to the Harvard Art Museums.

2) Living Larista Loca at Lamont: Ever wondered what it’s like to be a barista at LamCaf? We’ve got the answers.

IN THE NEWS

1) Stillman Infirmary Will Be Shuttered in Health Services Reshuffling: Harvard University Health Services is planning to significantly restructure patient resources, eventually closing the Stillman Infirmary and shifting resources from overnight care to other health services, according to a copy of an internal email sent to UHS workers late last month.

2) Between Classes, Students Celebrate Veteran’s Day: rom commemorative tours to church services and stadium runs, Harvard affiliates found their own ways to honor veterans Tuesday. Though the University—which boasts one of the top numbers of alumni who have earned Medals of Honor—recognizes Veterans Day as a University holiday and many offices were closed, Harvard remained open for classes.

3) For Allston Homeowners, Alleged Home Damage Remains Unresolved: Residents of Franklin Street in Allston demanded a response from Harvard at a recent Harvard-Allston Task Force meeting regarding alleged damage to their homes caused by construction on a nearby University-owned plot of land. Homeowners claimed that vibrations from the site led to structural cracks in their homes, despite the fact that an investigation performed by the Harvard-hired developer did not find vibrations strong enough to cause structural damage.

EVENTS

If you’re interested in the effect of globalization on education in countries around the world, join the Civic and Moral Education Initiative for a panel discussion at 1 p.m. in room G-08 in Larsen Hall (13 Appian Way). Speakers include experts working in India, Nigeria, and more.

Head over to CGIS S250 at 4 p.m. for Women Rising, a panel discussion on empowering women in Afghanistan and Pakistan. The panel will include officials from USAID who work in Afghanistan and Pakistan, and will be moderated by Jacqueline Bhabha, director of the South Asia Institute’s Gender Violence project.

Join Professor Theda Skocpol for a discussion unpacking the 2014 U.S. Midterm Elections results at 6 p.m. in the Adams Conservatory. Arrive early if you’re planning on grabbing dinner, and cupcakes will be served at the discussion!

Harvard Dharma is hosting a study break tonight at 9 p.m. in Holworthy Common Room. There will be Indian snacks and dessert, as well as a showing of a Bollywood movie.

PHOTO OF THE DAY

Harvard chaplains and supporters organized a silent sit-in advocating for peace in front of the Science Center on Veterans Day.

Harvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.