Harvard Today: February 28, 2014

Harvard Today
Harvard Today

By Zorigoo Tugsbayar

It’s finally Friday! Whether you have plans to party hard with your friends, with your books at Lamont, or even with Ben & Jerry’s new Core ice creams (who can resist two ice cream flavors and a topping all in one pint?), take some time to have fun weekend before we’re all swamped with midterms and papers! And if you need some motivation, there’s only two more weeks until Spring Break!

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
It’s inevitably going to be cold, but at least it’ll be sunny all day! The high will be 24 degrees so remember to stay warm. The rest of the weekend will be a mix of sunny and cloudy weather, with temperatures around the mid-30s.

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch:
Baked Ziti
Chicken Fajitas
Golden Nuggets

Dinner:
Braised Codfish with Fennel, Orange, Saffron
Roxanne’s Roast Chicken
Farro with Winter Squash, Mushrooms, and Pepitas

ON FLYBY
1) Fifteen Coldest Freshmen: Looks like the 15 Hottest Freshmen have some competition!

2) How To: Junior Parent’s Weekend: Check out some advice before you greet your parents for this weekend!

IN THE NEWS
3) Professors Frustrated with Add/Drop Deadline: “With thousands of undergraduates taking advantage of the “fifth Monday” deadline to add or drop a course, some professors frustrated with a rush of students joining and leaving their classes say the deadline falls too late in the semester.”

4) Phil Yao ‘13 To Run Marathon in Pyongyang: “Rhodes Scholars Phillip Z. Yao ’13 and Julian De Freitas, who graduated from Yale last year, have announced plans to run the Pyongyang Marathon in North Korea on April 13.”

5) Trumpets Herald New Office of the Arts Ceramics Studio in Allston: “Trumpets sounded before University President Drew G. Faust cut the ribbon to officially open the Office for the Arts’ new ceramics studio at 224 Western Ave in Allston Wednesday evening.”

EVENTS: WEEKEND PREVIEW
There are a lot of home games going on this weekend if you’re looking to get your Crimson spirit on! Men’s Basketball is going against Cornell today at 7 p.m. Columbia tomorrow at 7 p.m. Women’s Ice Hockey is going against Yale at 7 p.m. tonight and also tomorrow at 4 p.m. Women’s Lacrosse is going against Cornell tomorrow at 1 p.m, while Men’s Volleyball takes on NJIT tomorrow at 4 p.m.

If you’re looking for a good laugh tonight, check out the Immediate Gratification Players’ Parents Improv Show! It’s at 9 p.m. in Science Center A. The event isn't ticketed, so get there early to secure your seat!

The Taiwanese Cultural Society is having its Nightmarket 2014: Taste of Taiwan tomorrow night from 8 to 9:30 p.m. at the SOCH. It’ll be filled with Taiwanese food and cultural performances. Tickets are $7 if purchased in advance and $10 at the door. If you sign up to volunteer, you get free admission and dim sum!

The Harvard Callbacks and Fallen Angels are having a show called Do You Want to Build a Snowjam? on Sunday at 3 p.m. at Sanders Theatre. Tickets are $8 for students and $10 for everyone else.

PHOTO OF THE DAY
University President Drew G. Faust cuts the ribbon to inaugurate the opening of the new ceramics studio in Allston. The new studio building is part of the Allston redevelopment plan that has been approved last October.

Student LifeFlyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.