Harvard Today: March 12, 2014

•
Harvard Today
Harvard Today

By Shunella Grace Lumas

Happy Wednesday! Not only is half of the week over, but Housing Day festivities and spring break are right around the corner! As you power through the last of your midterms, here are some guilty pleasure songs to add to your study playlist:

"Let It Go" - Idina Menzel: If you’re feeling hopeless about your upcoming midterm, there’s no one stopping you from reinterpreting an animated Disney movie’s soundtrack as a personal message to you that you can indeed “let it go.” Don’t stress out too much, just walk into your test unfazed. I mean, you’ve totally been keeping up with your readings and going to lecture all semester, right?

"Timber" - Pitbull ft. Ke$ha: Seeing as Ke$ha and Pitbull are constantly reminding you that “it’s going down,” you’re excited to start partying as soon as you walk out of your midterm. Whether that means having a day rager with your friends or taking a nap that lasts until dinner, you know that it’s a perfect start to spring break.

"#SELFIE" - The Chainsmokers: This is a song for those of us who don’t stop barraging our friends with Snapchat selfies while at Lamont with sarcastic captions like “#party” or “#raging.” You know who you are.

"Turn Down For What" - DJ Snake & Lil Jon: You’re excited to party pre-Housing Day and Thirsty Thursday, but incase the name of the song is an earnest question, you should probably turn down for that midterm you actually have scheduled on Housing Day or that Friday morning flight back home you have to catch.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
For those of you crossing your fingers that yesterday’s weather will stay, looks like you’re in bad luck. While the temperature is still pretty warm with a high of 48 degrees, it’ll be rainy all day today and it’ll snow at night (perfect for River Run!).

IN THE D-HALL
Lunch:
Roast Beef Panini
Roasted Honey Lime Chicken
Spicy Potato Pierogies

Dinner:
Beef Meatballs in Marinara Sauce
Memphis Style Roasted Chicken
Vegan “Meat”balls
Apple Crisp!

ON FLYBY
1) New Kirkland Housing Videos Use PowerPoint, Aren’t Offensive: After controversy surrounding Kirkland’s Beyoncé-themed videos, upperclassmen created a new Housing Day video parodying “We Didn’t Start the Fire” by Billy Joel, complete with a PowerPoint presentation and cool visual transitions!

2) “Hi, I’m Dean Pfister”- Currier House: Currier introduced its Housing Day video, What Does the Tree Say?, by sending an email from “dean.donald.pfister@gmail.com”!

IN THE NEWS
3) After Lengthy Wait, Harvard Art Museums Will Open Renovated Building in November: “Following years of renovation, the Harvard Art Museums announced Tuesday afternoon that its new facility, which will house collections from all three of the University’s art museums—the Busch-Reisinger, the Fogg, and the Arthur M. Sackler—will open on Nov. 16 of this year.”

4) Divest Harvard Holds “Teach-Ins” Outside Massachusetts Hall: “Students and members of Divest Harvard gathered in front of Massachusetts Hall Tuesday afternoon for a series of “teach-ins” conducted to reveal ways in which they believe the fossil fuel industry creates climate denialism and interferes with clean energy initiatives.”

5) With Campaign Underway, Harvard Has Raised $900 Million Since September: “Harvard has raised $900 million since the public launch of its capital campaign last September, boosting the fundraising drive’s ongoing total to $3.7 billion, more than half of its goal, University President Drew G. Faust said on Wednesday.”

EVENTS
The Harvard-Radcliffe Dramatic Club is putting on The Motherf**ker with the Hat tomorrow at 8 p.m. in the Loeb Experimental Theater. The play is a dark comedy following the lives of five characters who struggle with their addictions to love and other drugs.

Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter and Square, will be giving a talk tonight about entrepreneurship and leadership at Farkas Hall from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Due to high demand, only standby seats remain at a first-come first-serve basis.

The OCS is having a session on using Twitter for job searches from 4 to 5 p.m. at 54 Dunster Street today. Register in advance through Crimson Careers.

PHOTO OF THE DAY
Benjamin Franta, a Harvard Graduate School student, and Alli Whelton ‘15 discuss the carbon budget and fossil fuel reserves at their rally in Harvard Yard on Tuesday afternoon.

Student LifeFlyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.