Flyby’s Back to School Shopping List

By Courtesy of Google Images

Whether you’re coming back to campus from the comforts of home and your childhood bedroom or a semester spent learning how to adult in an apartment, Flyby is here to help you readjust to the glamour and ease of dorm life — because let’s face it, we’re all clueless.

A Shower Caddy

You know them as the little baskets that carry all of your shower stuff. They’re essential to avoid making multiple trips between your dorm and your hallway bathroom, and to minimize the chance of getting locked out. Load up all of your toiletries into this baby and skamper awkwardly into the bathroom as you attempt to avoid anybody who may be walking down the hall. Alternatively, you can just not take any showers. Let us know how that works out for you!

A Mattress Protector

Or literally anything to protect your sheets from whatever else touched your bare mattress. Even your free service day t-shirt would work. You wouldn’t lie down on an uncovered dorm mattress, so why should your sheets, which touch you, be subjected to that torture? In fact, why not create as many protective layers between yourself and the mattress passed down from year to year? I’m talking about a foam mattress topper, an extra set of sheets, another blanket to lay on, you name it!

Definitely Not a Water Kettle

Since HUDS provides you with high-quality coffee and tea every morning, you will have no need for a portable kettle, so you can leave that at home! Definitely don’t bring one, since why would you want to make your own coffee in the mornings when you can’t be bothered to get dressed before your 9 a.m. (or your 12 p.m.)? And this semester, since room inspections can’t take place due to Covid, we should all be considerate and not bring a kettle. Just don’t.

Command Strips

Got some photos from times before everyone started wearing masks? String lights that you bought in an effort to make your dorm Pinterest-worthy? Get some Command strips to showcase it to the world! Whether it’s the team banner in the back of an athlete’s video feed or an organized to-do list, decorations are the easiest way to make sure everyone in your Zoom classes knows what you’re all about. And, you know, they can make the walls cheerier. That’s nice, too.

A Soul

We are still looking for the best place to buy this! This is the one thing that you ABSOLUTELY cannot skimp on. We recommend watching the new movie on Disney+ if you need help looking. Cheers!

Flyby BlogFlyby FrontAround Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.