Mexican with a Mission: Restaurant Chain's Movement to End World Hunger

Zambrero, Australia's largest Mexican franchise chain, has opened its doors in Harvard Square this week.
Zambrero, Australia's largest Mexican franchise chain, has opened its doors in Harvard Square this week. By Brian Samuels

Australia’s largest Mexican franchise chain, Zambrero, has arrived in the United States—opening its doors in Harvard Square and Warwick, Rhode Island this week. But Zambrero is no ordinary fast-casual restaurant model. Known for its fresh and healthy food, it’s also on a mission—to help end world hunger in our lifetime.

Through its Plate 4 Plate initiative, Zambrero donates a meal to someone in need for every burrito or bowl purchased. With partner Rise Against Hunger, an international aid agency founded here in the U.S., Zambrero has already provided more than 20 million meals to disadvantaged communities across the globe.

Through its Plate 4 Plate initiative, Zambrero donates a meal to someone in need for every burrito or bowl purchased.

The mastermind behind Zambrero is Dr. Sam Prince, a 34-year-old Australian humanitarian and entrepreneur. He started Zambrero in 2005 in Canberra, Australia, at the age of 21 while he was studying medicine. His goal was to not only offer fresh Mexican cuisine in Australia but establish a business that gave back to those who are less fortunate.

Fast forward over a decade on and Zambrero is one of Australia’s fastest growing businesses, with over 160 restaurants across the country, and presence already in New Zealand and Ireland.

After a prolonged decline, world hunger appears to be on the rise again. The estimated number of undernourished people increased to 815 million in 2016 according to a recent report published by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Eradicating hunger and malnutrition is one of the great challenges of our time, yet the truth remains that we live in a world where we produce enough food to feed everyone.

Passionate about bringing about change, Dr. Prince set an ambitious goal for Zambrero and its loyal customers—to donate one billion meals by 2025. This is aligned with the United Nations’ transformational vision of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development which calls on all countries and stakeholders to work together to end hunger and prevent all forms of malnutrition by 2030.

“We are thrilled to bring Zambrero to the United States, with the first stop in New England,” Dr. Prince says. “Last year the number of people affected by hunger increased by 38 million. More than ever we need to take action, working alongside aid organizations such as Rise Against Hunger. We wholeheartedly believe we can end world hunger in our lifetime, and expanding into larger markets, like the United States, increases our chances of making this a reality.”

Last year the number of people affected by hunger increased by 38 million. More than ever we need to take action, working alongside aid organizations such as Rise Against Hunger. We wholeheartedly believe we can end world hunger in our lifetime, and expanding into larger markets, like the United States, increases our chances of making this a reality. – Dr. Prince, Zambrero Founder

Rise Against Hunger packs and distributes food to countries where many do not have access to adequate nutrition, primarily through school feeding programs. Their food packs contain six meals and consist of rice, soy, dehydrated vegetables, and a fortified vitamin mix specially designed to supplement the diet of malnourished individuals.

Zambrero is one of Australia's fastest growing businesses, with over 160 restaurants across the country, and present already in New Zealand and Ireland.
Zambrero is one of Australia's fastest growing businesses, with over 160 restaurants across the country, and present already in New Zealand and Ireland. By Brian Samuels

The team at Zambrero believe that serving food that is both nutritious and great tasting is also equally as important to selling food that funds the elimination of world hunger.

From burritos and bowls to nachos and tacos, Zambrero’s menu is a fresh and modern take on Mexican flavours, with guacamole and salsas handmade in each restaurant. As well as the classic range, there is the IQ range and Powerbowl—both jam-packed with nutrients like plant protein superfoods and the seeds from ancient grains. They also take great care to ensure that anyone can enjoy their food—with gluten and dairy free alternatives and vegan friendly options.

The new Zambrero restaurants in New England are; Zambrero Harvard Square – 71 Mt Auburn Street, Cambridge, Massachusetts, and Zambrero Warwick – 1000 Bald Hill Road, Warwick, Rhode Island.

You can find out more about Zambrero’s movement at their website.

The Crimson's news and opinion teams—including writers, editors, photographers, and designers—were not involved in the production of this article.