April 23, 2020

Volume XXXI, Issue IX

Editor's Note

Dear reader, Wherever in the world you are, we at FM hope that our latest issue finds you healthy and safe. Quarantine continues — and so does the Quarantine Edition. Our writers have been hard at work again this week to keep you up to date on events at Harvard and across the country. ANW recalls another semester Harvard sent its students home early. GWO investigates the impact of campus’s closure on the many farmers who supply the Harvard University Dining Services. HRTW adapts to quarantine with youth fitness star Sami Kader. LRO and ACE speak with the experts on the recent nation-wide spike in gun sales. SII and SLL uncover CovEd, an organization started by a Harvard undergraduate to offer online tutoring services to younger students that has now gone national. MNW anchors this week’s issue with doggedly reported, masterfully rendered scrutiny on the University’s unique relationship with China: For decades, China needed Harvard’s talent and resources more than Harvard needed China’s. But in light of the country’s economic and political assent, the balance of the relationship has begun to shift, raising difficult questions about academic freedom and censorship. This long read investigation, the product of several months of research and reporting, is certainly not one you’ll want to miss! But of course that’s not all: SJL profiles celebrity defense attorney and HLS alumnus Alex Spiro, ACE details Harvard Square’s latest fixture, and HRTW crashes into life in the Radcliffe Quadrangle. Our dear friend AJS brings the issue to a thoughtful conclusion with an endpaper on her time working at one of the best donut shops in America. Nowhere to go? Perfect. Crack open our magazine and stay awhile. Yours, AWDA + NHP