TELEGRAPHIC BREVITIES.

FROM THE BOSTON HERALD.

A $15,000 blaze occurred in Lawrence last night.

V. W. McFarlane & Co., of New York have failed.

Seven deaths from a boiler explosion in Atlanta, Ga.

Vienna is threatened with a total failure of its water supply.

There is a determined effort to have the Hawaiian treaty abrogated.

The apportionment bill, with some amendments, passed the House yesterday.

Forty bodies have been recovered from the colliery at Trindom Grange, England.

The dealings of the New York cotton exchange yesterday were the heaviest ever known.

The claims of Private Dalzell for a foreign consulship are being pushed as strongly as possible.

Gen. Sherman has planned an excursion to visit all the Western army posts, starting March 1.

O. B. Potter, the owner of the World building in New York, is held in $5000 bail for appearance before the grand jury.

At a meeting of the Yale alumni in New York, resolutions upon the death of Hon. Joseph E. Sheffield were passed.

The missing train dispatcher, Bagnall, has been seen in New York. He is on his way to Mexico. Financial embarrassment.

Mrs. Garfield, in her reply to Mrs. Scoville's letter in behalf of Guiteau, says that she pities him, but cannot intercede for him.

General Skobeleff predicts a struggle between the Slavs and the Teutons, and thinks the Slavs will finally be victorions.

The comparative merits of the South Boston Iron Company and the West Point foundry have been presented before the House naval affairs committee.

A large fire is now raging in Haverhill; Mass. It has been burning since midnight, and is beyond the control of the firemen. Engines have been sent from Boston. Telegraph and telephone communication have been broken down. Flames were plainly visible from Boston.

THE WEATHER.WASHINGTON, D. C., Feb. 18, 1882, 1 A. M. For New England, colder, fair weather, northeasterly winds, higher pressure.