NOTES AND COMMENTS.

The horrible rumor is going the rounds of the press that "bangs" are going out of fashion.

The Yale Courant discourses about the coming match between Princeton and Yale, "the strongest teams of the country."

A new patented bicycle, which is claimed to be several seconds to the mile faster than the present machine, will soon make its appearance.

Some party or parties unknown indulged in the sport of smashing in all the windows in the president's lecture room at Yale Monday night.

Among the recent liberal innovations at Oxford is the repeal of the condition formerly attached to all fellowships condemning the holders to single blessedness. Another is that women are allowed to attend all university lectures on history and literature.

The alumni of the University of Pennsylvania are to co-operate with the students in securing a gymnasium and track. A general athletic association will be formed which will have charge of the interests of base-ball, rowing, cricket, foot-ball and athletics in the university.

The Acta is "pained to note the downward career of the gentleman who obtained considerable prominence of late, owing to the relations between his thumb and the Harvard Boat Club. Whatever our feelings may be toward the gentleman in regard to his action in the late controversy, we cannot help dropping a tear of sadness when we think of his having sunken so low as to be nominated for the legislature of Massachusetts. Such depravity is simply awful."

The faculty came to a decision on Saturday in regard to the students who were connected with the recent bridge affair. Twelve were indefinitely suspended, four reprimanded and put on probation and one reprimanded. In addition to this action of the faculty from a disciplinarian point of view, the board of trustees with the idea of protecting the university property has handed in a bill of $400 damages to the students detected and this bill must be paid before any of them will be permitted to return. - [Cornell Sun.

The Lick Observatory, in California, is well under way. It is on Mount Hamilton, thirteen miles from San Jose, and nearly 4,500 feet above sea level, with an unobstructed view of the heavens, except a small part of the northeastern horizon, shut out from view by a neighboring mountain peak. There are to be two domes, in one of which a twelve-inch equatorial telescope is now erected. The other is to contain the great thirty-six-inch telescope, the glasses for which are now being ground at Cambridgeport, Mass. The observatory is of the most substantial character, and will be completely equipped; and although removed from centres of population and of scientific work, it will be easily accessible from San Jose by a mountain road constructed for this purpose.