Prof. Paine's Lecture.

Prof. Paine's lecture last night was devoted to following the development of instrumental music down to the time of Bach. Instrumental music naturally came after vocal music, men being endowed by nature with voices, and instruments being a matter of ingenuity and invention. It developed slowly, the church being at first opposed to it; but the improvement of the violin and other stringed instruments by the great Italian makers naturally developed a school of players and writers. The organ was the first musical instrument to attain development, and in the 17th century was used in the church. The harpsichord, clavichord, etc., a variety of instruments like the piano, were in common use at this time. A very interesting feature of the lecture was the performance of a piece by Conperin, on a veritable old spinet,- a small box-like affair, with scarcely enough tone to be heard; on the whole a very funny effect. Among the other examples of the early writers were several old English pieces, of the first half of the 17th century, especially a "Hunting Jigg," by Dr. John Bull, a celebrated player on the "Virginal," an instrument much like the clarichord; likewise the Cat's Fugue by Scarlotti, and selections from the English Suite by Bach. Much interest attaches to these early attempts as being the forerunners of our present piano music.

Sig. Campanari, the well known violinist of Boston, performed finely several pieces of violin music by early masters, coming down as late as Paganini, among which were selections from Corelli, the celebrated "Dent's Tull" by Fortune, and a Burcarolle by Paganini. The next lecture will be on April 16, and will take up the two great composers, Handel and Bach.