Books.

THE SOURCE OF THE MISSISSIPPI.*

The CRIMSON is in receipt of a work on the "Source of the Mississippi," which might prove a source of great delight to members of History 18. Describing exactly what corner of what hill in what remote district a small stream takes its rise, and illustrating with full-page maps the course of said steam, Itasca Lake, and adjoining swamps and pasture-lands, this little work will serve as a powerful reminder of certain history courses in college. Being polemical as well as minute in detail, it offers additional charms. It appears that Messrs. Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & Co., sent an exploring party, which disagrees with a former explorer. An extract from the report is here added: -

"Captain Glazier might have gone on to the end of his days writing apochryphal reminiscences of the war and we would have nothing to say; he might have told all sorts of imaginary stories of adventure on the plains, and along the rivers of our continent, and it would have been none of our business; he might have lectured himself into fame and fortune without a word of protest from us. But when he began to pervert the history and distort the geography of our continent to gratify his ignorant conceits and base ambitions, it began to come within our range; and when he and his agents attempted to corrupt the school text-book literature of the day, and tried to induce us to falsify our publications, it became very much our business; and we propose that, so far as our voice can reach, he shall not put forth his shameless falsities without an unqualified denial and an indignant protest from us."

*The Source of the Mississippi: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & Co., New York and Chicago.