The Elective Pamphlet for 1887-1888.

The new elective pamphlet has made its appearance. The changes that have been made will probably prove beneficial ones, as great care has been taken in the preparation of the new list, and a number of new and apparently valuable courses have been introduced.

In the Greek department the absence of Professors Croswell and Dyer will be felt severely. Courses A and E appear without any instructor, while D and 4 have been removed from the list; in course C, Demosthenes no longer will be studied; Dr. Fowler has been given Course 1 and Professor Wright - the new instructor - Course & Greek Composition; Mr. Parker will conduct 5 in place of Professor White; Course 7, now Professor Dyer's, is to be given to Professor Wright; Course 9 as it was before this year has been inserted, while 9 of this year - Greek composition with Professor Dyer - has been superseded; Course 11 is a new course. It will be conducted by Professor Allen, and will be an introduction to the critical study of Homer; Professor Wright will give a course in Greek History (600-300 B. C.); it is numbered 12. There are other slight changes, which will appear on closer investigation than can be given here.

In Latin, we find that Courses A, E and 2 are without instructors, as Dr. Fowler has been transferred to the Greek department. The return of Professor Lane fills up the deficiency; he will conduct Courses 1, 8 and 12; Professor Smith's courses, 6 and 13, have been given to Mr. Parker, as the Dean begins his Sabbatical year next fall.

The great change, however, comes in the English department. English 6 has been revived, but is open only to seniors; 13 is a new course, and will be given in successive years with 1 and 11; Spenser and the English Bible will be studied under Professor Child; Mr. Wendell has been given English 14, which will meet once a week and study the English drama, exclusive of Shakspere; the second half year Professor Briggs will meet a course in English literature from Shakspere to Dryden, exclusive of Milton; 7 and 8 have been given a companion course, numbered 9; it will be conducted by Professor Hill; the prose writers of the nineteenth century will be studied. All these new courses, except 13, are half courses; Course 10 is a full course, and is open only to advanced students. Its title is, "Study of Special Topics."

In the German department no changes of consequence have been made.

In French, Professors Bocher and Cohn have changed about in Courses 3 and 4. Course 8 will be given on Tuesday at 10 o'clock, and can be taken only as an extra.

Romance Philology has received two new courses, 5 and 6; five will be conducted by Mr. Grandgent, and will be a study of Historical Italian Grammar; six will study the old French dialects under Professor Sheldon.

The Philosophy department remains unchanged, except that a new text-book will be used in Course 3.

In Political Economy, Professor Laughlin will conduct, during the first half-year, a course on the "Management and Ownership of Railroads;" it has been numbered 9.

Professor Macvane and Dr. Channing will lecture in History 1; History 11 will be omitted, and History 14 will be conducted by Professor Macvane and Dr. Hart.

In the Fine Arts the old courses in Romanesque and Gothic Art have been superseded by Course 4 on Roman and Mediaeval Art.

In Mathematics, Course F, on Elementary Mechanics, has been introduced, and also a course in Special Advanced Study and Research, numbered 20.

In Physics and Chemistry two courses, which extend further the field open to freshmen, have been added. They are both lettered C.

No important changes have been made in the Natural History department.