"The Harvard Monthly."

Mr. John C. Ropes contributes a very valuable paper entitled, "A Few Words About Secession," in which he shows that if the South can prove the truth of their premises about the sovereignty of the States that ratified the constitution, their stand in seceding would be justifiable. The paper is well worth a careful perusal, as it throws much new light on this well-worn theme. "Nature's Poem" is a delicate bit of verse, and expresses a pretty idea in highly artistic form. Mr. Palmer has also added much interest to this number by a well-written sketch of Ben Johnson's life works. Mr. Carman's "Willow Buds" appears to be a little labored, and lacks naturalness. The most remarkable piece of writing in this number is, "A Moon Fragment," by Mr. J. B. Fletcher, which will appeal to many though its originality. "Youth," by Mr. Sanford, shows good thought, and much poetical insight. Mr. G. P. Baker contributes a sketch entitled, "An Enthusiast," in his usual easy and pleasant style. An editorial on the formation of a dramatic club and books notices complete an excellent issue.