PRACTICE SHOWS IMPROVEMENT

Four Touchdowns Scored on Fast Plays. Several Long Runs.

There was considerable improvement yesterday in the work of the University eleven. The slowness of the linemen had not yet disappeared, but the plays were run more smoothly, so that four touchdowns were scored against the second eleven,--the largest number that has been made in practice this year. Long runs were frequent. One by Kernan amounted to 70 yards, and there were various others by members of both teams of from 15 to 45 yards in length.

The strength of the second eleven's opposition was decreased some from what it was the day before, as none of the coaches played in its line-up, and it was a comparatively easy matter for the first team to circle the ends or pierce the line for long gains. A number of men were tried in the backfield positions on both teams. Foster played at right halfback on the first eleven for the first time in several weeks and took part in the plays with good dash and vigor.

The score would have been still larger if the backs had not run so high and been so sparing with their help. Most of the gains were due almost entirely to individual efforts. One touchdown was made on a 30 yard run by Foster, and many of the other scores were made possible by long runs, notably one of 45 yards by Daly, several of about 20 yards by Stillman, and two of the same length by Knowlton and Graydon, respectively. Schoellkopf, of the second eleven, broke through the first team's line for a run of 35 yards.

The line-ups: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Mills, l.e.  r.e., Montgomery Shea, l.t.  r.t., Mason A. Marshall, l.g.  r.g., Lehmann Sugden, Lyon, c.  c., Force Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Wilder Knowlton, r.t.  l.t., Dodge Bowditch, r.e.  l.e., O'Connell, Clothier C. Marshall, Daly, q.b.  q.b., Parker Kernan, Stillman, l.h.b.  r.h.b., McGlensey, Leatherbee Putnam, Foster, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Piper, Goodhue Graydon, Harrison, f.b.  f.b., Ives, Schoellkopf