FIRST BASKETBALL GAME.

Harvard vs. University of Pennsylvania in Gymnasium Tonight at 8 o'clock.

The University basketball team will play Pennsylvania in the Hemenway Gymnasium at 8 o'clock this evening in the first game to be played by either team in the intercollegiate series.

Three of the Pennsylvania men were members of the team that was defeated by Harvard last year 13 to 11 and as the University team is considered materially stronger this year the chances appear to slightly favor Harvard. The Pennsylvania team, however, has already played several practice games this season which should give it a considerable advantage. Bennett and Kase of the Pennsylvania team were members of the football team last fall.

Practice for the University squad was begun earlier than usual this year, but the team has developed slowly owing to the injuries received by several of the players early in the season. On the offense the team as a whole is strong and in quick rushes down the floor its passing is excellent. But when the ball changes hands the players fail to cover their men quickly.

Underwood and Grant the forwards, are both old players and work well together. Underwood, who played on the team three years ago, is a hard player and very quick in his floor work, but erratic in throwing easy baskets. Grant played in the two Yale games last year. He shoots well, but often allows his guard to get away from him when on the defense. Randall has played two years at center. On the offense his passing and shooting are excellent and on the centers-up he is a strong player. His covering, however, is very poor. Bigelow and Gring at guards are both hard players and fairly effective. Bigelow is active in team-work and gets many chances for baskets. He will probably throw the free-tries tonight. Gring is inexperienced and aggressive to such an extent that he shows a tendency to foul.

In addition to chairs surrounding the floor and running track, seats have been erected at the south end of the Gymnasium to accommodate 700 people. The admission to accommodate 700 people. The admission fee is 50 cents.

The line-up will be: HARVARD.  PENNSYLVANIA. Underwood, K. Smith, l.f.  r.f., Kunkle Grant, r.f.  l.f., Kase Randall, c.  c., McCrudden, Hayes Bigelow, l.g.  r.g., Lawrence Gring, r.g.  l.g., Bennett

Referee--F. B. Barnes, Cambridge Y. M. C. A.