BARON KANEKO TONIGHT

"Situation in the Far East," in Sanders at 8.--The Lecture Last Night.

Baron Kentaro Kaneko, 2nd, L.'78, h.'99, former Minister of Justice, and one of Japan's most prominent statesmen, will lecture at 8 o'clock this evening in Sanders Theatre on "The Situation in the Far East." B. S. Kimura, Gr.Dv., president of the Japan Club, under whose auspices the lecture is given, will preside. The floor will be reserved for the members of the Japan Club and their invited guests, and admission will be by ticket only; but the first and second balconies will be open to the public.

At 6 o'clock the Japan Club will give a dinner in honor of the Baron and his two secretaries in the Assembly Room of the Union. A few invited guests will be present.

Baron Kaneko gave his first address last evening, in the Fogg Lecture Room, on the "Law and Constitution of Japan."

The Japanese constitution, Baron Kaneko said, began in 1868, when a national assembly was promised the people. Then followed the division of the government into its legislative, executive, and judicial branches. In 1879 the provinces and the villages were given partial self rule, and both the central and the local administration then became ready for complete government under the promised constitution.

To adapt occidental constitutional government to an oriental country proved, however, a most difficult task, but unceasing work on the part of the Emperor. Marquis Ito's commission, and the Privy Council, resulted in the improvement of the fundamental principles of Japanese imperial government by the addition of English and American theories of constitutional government and the proclamation, on February 11, 1889, of that constitution which has since proved so beneficial to Japan.