M. Leroy-Beaulieu's Second Lecture.

M. Anatole Leroy-Beaulieu gave his second lecture yesterday afternoon in Sanders Theatre on "Joseph de Maistre et l'Ultramontanisme."

The French Revolution, M. Leroy-Beaulieu said, brought on by its excesses a reaction against the ideas of the eighteenth century, and among other things reawakened the old religious sentiment. The reaction showed itself with Chateaubriand in the domain of poetry and art, and with Joseph de Maistre in the realm of philosophy and politics.

Joseph de Maistre condemned the Revolution and proclaimed that the only way to save society and restore Christianity was to assert the principles of authority and obedience. These principles he exalted in the church as well as in the state, and his Ultramontanism, or leaning towards the Roman See, was directed against the sovereignty of the people.

De Maistre's ideal was a monarchical government tempered by law and the influence of the aristocracy, and, feeling that this system tended toward despotism, he tried to place kings and governments under the influence of the Pope, in whom he recognized the right to disengage a people from the duty of obedience to their sovereign.

The ideas of Joseph de Maistre were finally abandoned, because the Revolution had made Gallicism a dead issue. Secularization of the state had broken the bonds between clergy and government.

Ultramontanism triumphed in the councils of the Vatican in, 1870, but as has been seen in later years by the pontificate of Leo XIII, the papacy now guards itself from compromising its authority by extending its influence over temporal affairs.

M. Leroy-Beaulieu will give his third lecture on Friday, on "Lamennais et les Catholiques liberaux."