M. Leroy-Beaulieu's Fifth Lecture.

M. Anatole Leroy-Beaulieu gave his fifth lecture yesterday afternoon, in Sanders Theatre, on "M. de Mun et le Christianisme social."

The initiative in social affairs, M. Leroy-Beaulieu said, comes more often from members of the Roman church than from its head, the Pope. During the reaction which followed the French Revolution all trade guilds and labor organizations were suppressed. The Count de Mun opposed the extinction of such unions and founded "cercles Catholiques" of mechanics and laborers.

Pope Leo XIII, in 1891, issued an encyclical on "The Condition of Workingmen," which gave Catholics a basis for social action. Encouraged by this, a few priests and laymen, including M. de Mun, formed a sort of socialist party called the "Democrates chretiens." The bishops and the Holy See feared the outcome of this party's tendencies, and it failed to gain political power because the more radical democrats had a repugnance toward the church.

The next lecture will be given in Sanders Theatre at 4.30 o'clock tomorrow afternoon, on "Les Democrates chretiens et l'Antisemitisme."