Rough Basketball Practice

In the basketball practice in the Gymnasium last evening the University team defeated the second team by an over-whelming score of 49 to 6. In shooting and covering the first team showed great improvement, but the men still show a tendency to rely on individual plays rather than on a passing game. The second team played a hard, rough game, but lacked initiative on the offense, and failed to make the most of many openings. The discouraging part of the practice was the disregard by both teams of the minor rules of the game which would result in penalities in a regular contest. Griffiths is still very uncertain on free tries, and scored but three out of a possible ten baskets.

In the preliminary practice Coach Randall drilled the men in dribbling, long and short tries for goals, and trick formation from the take-off. Much attention was devoted to the one-bounce play, which has been made possible this year under the new rules

The line-up was as follows: UNIVERSITY TEAM.  SECOND TEAM. Quigley, l.f.  r.g., Marsh, Rand Broun, Brooks, r.f,  l.g., Appel, Clark Amberg, c.  c., Miles, Lupien Burnham, l.g.  r.f., Moore, Brooks Griffiths, r.g.  l.f., Brooks, Moore

Score--University team, 49; Second team, 6. Goals from floor--Griffiths 6, Quigley 6, Amberg 6, Brooks 4, Burnham, Appel, Rand. Goals from fouls--Griffiths 3, Brooks 2, Broun 2. Fouls called--on University team 8; on Second team 10. Time--15 and 20-minute periods.