COLUMBIA WON CHESS

With Score of 11 1-2 Out of 12 Games.--Harvard Second, Princeton Third.

Columbia won the fifteenth annual intercollegiate chess tournament from Harvard, Yale, and Princeton with a score of 11 1-2 games won out of a possible 12. The University team won second place with a score of 8 games won, followed by Princeton and Yale. Of the tournaments since 1892 Harvard has won 9, Columbia 5, and Yale 1.

Three Columbia men, J. R. Capablanca, L. J. Wolff, and H. Blumberg, were tied for the highest individual score with three victories and no defeats. K. S. Johnson '07 of the University team tied with O. Brown of Columbia for the second highest score, winning 2 1-2 games.

The tournament was held on December 20, 21 and 22 at the West Side Republican Club, New York. In the first day's play, Columbia took the lead by winning three matches and drawing the fourth with Harvard. Princeton was second with three wins out of the four matches with Yale.

On the second day, Harvard advanced to second place by defeating Princeton in three matches and drawing the fourth. Columbia won all four matches from Yale, thus increasing its lead of the previous day.

On the final day of the tournament, Columbia again won all four matches, making a total of 11 1-2 games won, which is a new record in league tournaments. Harvard also won four matches against Yale, only three of which were actually played. The final score was Columbia 11 1-2, Harvard 8, Princeton, 3 1-2, and Yale 1.

The complete score of the tournament was as follows: COLUMBIA.     Won.  Lost. Capablanca,  3  0 Wolff,  3  0 Blumberg,  3  0 Brown,  2 1-2  1-2     --  -- Totals,  11 1-2  1-2 HARVARD.     Won.  Lost. Brackett,  2  1 McClure,  1 1-2  1 1-2 Gruening,  2  1 Johnson,  2 1-2  1-2     --  -- Totals,  8  4 PRINCETON.     Won.  Lost. Ward,  1  2 Stephens,  1 1-2  1 1-2 Williams,  1  2 McDermott,  0  3     --  -- Totals,  3 1-2  8 1-2 YALE.     Won.  Lost. Burgess,  0  3 Kimball,  0  3 Kelsey,  0  3 Rosenn,  1  2     --  -- Totals,  1  11

A meeting was held in New York on Tuesday by representatives of Columbia, Yale, Princeton and the triangular col- lege chess league, composed of Cornell, Brown, and Pennsylvania, at which articles of a deed of gift to govern hereafter, the Rice international chess trophy were drawn up. The University was not represented.

The result of the meeting was to broaden the terms under which the international matches will hereafter take place. The title of the trophy will rest in a board of trustees, consisting of eight members, four to be selected from the alumni of American colleges and four from the alumni of Oxford and Cambridge, to be elected annually. This board will have entire control of the management of the matches and will have power to select the players