GENERAL LAY-OFF YESTERDAY

Substitutes Scored One Touchdown Against the Second Team.

With the exception of one player, M. C. Peirce, every man on the University team, who played against Brown on Saturday, was given a lay-off from practice yesterday. Forster and Browne are the only men suffering from injuries, however, and theirs are but slight. Forster has a wrenched knee, which will probably keep him out of the game for the rest of the week, and Browne has a slightly strained tendon. Lockwood was on the field, but practiced only punting and forward passing for a short time. The usual breaking through drill for the linemen was held.

The University substitutes and the second team were lined up for a short scrimmage, in which Butt scored one touchdown for the substitutes. A forward pass to Peirce on the 10-yard line started the team off, and the remaining distance was covered by line plunges. After the next kick-off, aided by a 30-yard run by Cotton, the second rushed the ball down to the substitutes' 5-yard line, where they were held for downs. When time was called, the ball was on the second's 20-yard line and was being steadily advanced towards their goal.

The regular coaches were assisted by R. W. P. Browne '98 and R. P. Kernan '03, left halfback and captain of the University eleven in 1902.

The teams lined up in the scrimmage as follows: UNIVERSITY SUBSTITUTES.  SECOND TEAM. M. C. Peirce, l.e.  r.e., Roosevelt, Cooper Robinson, l.t.  r.t., Fisher Hadden, l.g.  r.g., Davis Nourse, c.  c., Dore Forcheimer, r.g.  l.g., Ver Wiebe Inches, r.t.  l.t., M. Gilbert Houston, r.e.  l.e., Miller Gilder, q.b.  q.b., Galatti, Cate A. Gilbert l.h.b.  r.h.b., Conroy, Gregory Cutting, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Blair Butt, f.b.  f.b., Cotton