INTERCOLLEGIATE GAMES

Final Events at 3.--Michigan, U. of P., and Cornell the Favorites.

The finals of the thirty-second annual intercollegiate track meet will be held in the Stadium this afternoon, beginning at 3 o'clock. Reserved seats at $1.50 and $1 are on public sale at the Athletic Office and at Leavitt & Peirce's in Cambridge, and in Boston at Wright & Ditson's, or may be obtained at the gate. Admission to the east side of the Stadium will be 50 cents. Baseball special season tickets will not admit, as the meet is not held under the auspices of the Harvard Athletic Association.

In the preliminary trials, held yesterday afternoon, Harvard's chances of making a creditable showing were greatly lessened by failure to qualify in the 100-yard dash, the half-mile, and the polevault. The University team qualified 9 men as against 13 from Yale, 12 from Cornell, 9 from Michigan, 8 from Amherst, 3 each from Dartmouth, Syracuse, Swarthmore, and Williams, and one from Johns Hopkins. As a result of these trials, Michigan appears to be more formidable than at first considered, as almost without exception every man entered came up to expectations. Pennsylvania and Cornell, however, still look strong, although it seems likely that Harvard, Yale, and Princeton will injure the former's chances, leaving Cornell to fight for first place with Michigan. Yale, by qualifying such a large number of men seems practically sure of fourth place, while third might be within its reach.

The performances in the preliminaries yesterday were as a rule of a high standard, but with good weather today should be bettered considerably. The Harvard men to qualify were Dodge and Lock-wood in the 220-yard dash, Young in the quarter-mile, Rand in the high hurdles, Mason in the low hurdles, Stephenson in the shot-put, Kersburg in the hammer-throw, and Somers and Harwood in the high jump. The failure of both Grant of Harvard and Jackson of Cornell, who together hold the intercollegiate record, to qualify in the pole-vault was one of the most unexpected events of the day. Garrels of Michigan was easily the individual star of the day, as he qualified in three events and should be a strong factor in all of these today.

The Track Events.

In the 100-yard dash, the first event of the program, Princeton qualified two men, Gamble and Rulon-Miller, who are likely to capture two of the first three places today. Cartmell of Pennsylvania won his heat in excellent form and is considered the probable winner of the event. The other men to qualify were Burch, Butler, and Stevens of Yale, Read of Amherst, and Stewart of Michigan.

Parsons of Yale surprised everyone by winning his heat in the half-mile from Lewis and Townsend of Cornell in the good time of 1m., 58 3-5s. M. B. Van Brunt '08 was fifth in this heat. In the second heat H. F. Miller, Jr., '08 took the lead at the start and ran the first quarter in fast time. Towards the end of the race, however, he was passed by several of the field, Haskins of Pennsylvania winning, with Coe of Michigan and French of Cornell close behind. The fourth heat went to Ramey of Michigan, with Baker of Swarthmore second and Chandler of Cornell third. The outcome of the final race today is made extremely uncertain by the inconsistencies of Parsons, and by the fact that Lewis of Cornell, Coe of Michigan, and Haskins of Pennsylvania may start in the mile before running in the finals of the half.

Shaw of Dartmouth, Hubbard of Amherst, and Garrels of Michigan drew separate heats in the high hurdles and each secured first place. The final race this afternoon should be one of the best events on the program. W. M. Rand '09 ran a pretty race and has an excellent chance for fourth place.

In the first heat of the 440-yard dash Taylor of Pennsylvania ran easily in third or fourth place until after the turn, when he quickened his pace and won with little effort. Coholan of Yale followed him closely and seems like a sure point-winner today.

The winners of the heats in the low hurdles were the same as in the high. A. B. Mason '08 secured second place in his heat and may figure in the finals today, although he will have to run very fast to beat out Talcott of Cornell and Armstrong of Princeton.

P. C. Lockwood '07 and L. P. Dodge '08 each got second in his heat in the 220-yard dash. Dodge ran easily and should win second if not first place in the event. The other places appear to lie between Cartmell and Whitham of Pennsylvania, Young of Syracuse, and Stevens of Yale.

The Field Events.

First and second places in the shotput undoubtedly lie between Krueger of Swarthmore and Garrels of Michigan, while B. T. Stephenson, Jr., '08 and White of Cornell will have a close contest for third.

The results of the pole-vault trials were a great surprise. Dray and Gilbert of Yale went over 11 ft., 6 in., as did Swain of Pennsylvania and Allen of Syracuse. Campbell cleared 11 ft., 5 in., and qualified. This afternoon the event will start with the bar at 10 ft., 6 in.

In the high-jump Moffit and Marshall are expected to get first and second places between them, leaving Harvard a good chance for third with a possible fourth either to R. G. Harwood '09 or R. E. Somers '08.

Knox of Yale made the best distance in the broad jump, but French and Heath of Michigan are not far behind and should make the event a close one.

All the hammer-throwers are evenly matched and the outcome of the event depends for the most part on ability to keep from fouling. H. E. Kersburg '07 is in good form and has very good chances.

Men Who Qualified.

Following is a list of the men who qualified in the different events:

100-YARD DASH.

Burch (Y.), Butler (Y.), Stevens (Y.), Gamble (Pr.), Rulon-Miller (Pr.), Cartmell (P.), Stewart (M.), Read (A.).

220-YARD DASH.

Dodge (H.), Lockwood (H.), Stevens (Y.), Cartmell (P.), Whitham (P.), Hutchinson (C.), Stewart (M.), Young (Syr.).

120-YARD HURDLES.

Rand (H.), Howe (Y.), Garrels (M.), Talcott (C.), Armstrong (Pr.), Shaw (D.), Hubbard (A.), Merrill (W.).

220-YARD HURDLES.

Mason (H.), Garrels (M.), Talcott (C.), Treman (C.), Armstrong (Pr.), Shaw (D.), Hubbard (A.), Merrill (W.).

440-YARD RUN.

Young (H.), Coholan (Y.), Rogers (C.), Taylor (P.), Atlee (Pr.), Tittman (Pr.), Henrie (Swarth.), Sweet (A.).

880-YARD RUN.

Parsons (Y.), Coe (M.), Ramey (M.), Haskins (P.), Chandler (C.), French (C.), Lewis (C.), Townsend (C.), Baker (Swarth.).

SHOT-PUT.

Stephenson (H.), Buhrman (Y.), Garrels (M.), White (C.), Krueger (Swarth.).

HAMMER-THROW.

Kersburg (H.), Cook (C.), Pew (C.), Folwell (P.), Horr (Syr.).

POLE-VAULT.

Dray (Y.), Gilbert (Y.), Campbell (Y.), Swain (P.), Allen (Syr.).

HIGH JUMP.

Harwood (H.), Somers (H.), Marshall (Y.), Moffit (P.), Horrax (W.).

BROAD JUMP.

Knox (Y.), French (M.), Heath (M.), Sherman (D.), Perce (J. H.).

Summary.

Following is a summary of the trial heats yesterday:

Track Events.

100-YARD. DASH.

First heat-Won by Rulon-Miller (Pr.); second, Burch (Y.). Time, 10 1-5s. Second heat--Won by Gamble (Pr.); second, Stewart (M.). Time, 10 1-5s. Third heat--Won by Read (A.); second, Butler (Y.). Time, 10 2-5s. Fourth heat--Won by Cartmell (P.); second, Stevens (Y.). Time, 10 1-5s.

220-YARD DASH.

First heat--Won by Cartmell (P.); second, Stevens (Y.); third, Hutchinson (C.). Time, 22 2-5s. Second heat--Won by Whitham (P.); second, Lockwood (H.); third, Burch (Y.). Time, 22 4-5s. Third heat--Won by Young (Syr.); second, Dodge (H.); third, Stewart (M.). Time, 22 2-5s. Fourth heat for third men--Tie between Hutchinson (C.), and Stewart (M.). Time, 28s.

120-YARD HURDLES.

First heat--Won by Shaw (D.); second, Rand (H.); third, Merrill (W.). Time, 15 3-5s. Second heat--Won by Garrels (M.); second, Talcott (C.); third, Mason (H.). Time, 15 4-5s. Third heat--Won by Hubbard (A.); second, Armstrong (Pr.); third, Howe (Y.). Time, 15 4-5s.

220-YARD HURDLES.

First heat--Won by Hubbard (A.); second, Talcott (C.); third, Merrill (W.). Time, 25s. Second heat--Won by Garrels (M.); second, Mason (H.); third Treman (C.). Time, 25s. Third heat--Won by Shaw (D.); second, Armstrong (Pr.); third, Requardt (C.). Time, 25 1-5s. Fourth heat for third men--Won by Merrill (W.); second, Treman (C.). Time, 27 3-5s.

440-YARD RUN.

First heat--Won by Taylor (P.); second, Coholan (Y.); third, Tittman (Pr.); fourth, Sweet (A.). Time, 49 4-5s. Second heat--Won by Rogers (C.); second, Atlee (Pr.); third, Henrie (Swarth.); fourth, Young (H.). Time, 50 1-5s.

880-YARD RUN.

First heat--Won by Parsons (Y.); second, Lewis (C.); third, Townsend (C.). Time, 1m., 58 3-5s. Second heat--Won by Haskins (P.); second, Coe (M.); third, French (C.). Time, 2m., 1-5s. Third heat--Won by Ramey (M.); second, Baker (Swarth.); third, Chandler (C.). Time, 2m., 2 1-5s.

Field Events.

SHOT-PUT.

Won by Kruegr (Swarth.), 45 ft., 8 in.; second, Garrels (M.), 45 ft., 2 in.;