SLOW BASEBALL GAME WON

Exeter Defeated, 4 to 3, Yesterday.-- Team Meets Maine at 4 o'clock.

In a disappointing baseball game yesterday with Exeter the University team succeeded in winning only by the narrow margin of one run, the final score being 4 to 3. The playing of the team as a whole was listless, and a victory over a preparatory school team by such a small score is nothing to be proud of. Only eight hits, two of which were doubtful, were all that the University team made off Baines. Hits as a rule were lacking at critical moments. In the first inning with only one out and men on second and third, a hit was not forthcoming. The same thing happened again in the sixth, while in the second, third, and fourth innings singles would have produced runs.

Briggs was very slow during the whole game. He was not awake for Currier's throws, when two men might have been caught off first. He struck out twice at the bat, and held his base once when he should have run to second. Brennan was also slow in the field and in running g to first. The bright spot in the afternoon's work was the all-round good playing of Dana. He made three remarkable catches in left field of hard liners, one at his feet, and another by jumping up after a hard run. He secured two good hits at the bat, one of which was a two-bagger. Pounds and McCall also made two hits apiece. The former, with a timely two-bagger in the third when two were out, brought in two runs, but he had a tendency to take too great a lead off the bases.

Currier, running for McCall in the first inning, crossed the plate on Simons's sacrifice hit to right field, after the pitcher had thrown wild to second. The two runs in the third were the result of an error by Grattan, a hit by Dana, Currier's hit to the pitcher, and Pounds's two-bagger. Harvard's last run came in the fifth when Dana made a scratch two-base hit, and the catcher threw wild trying to catch him stealing third.

None of Exeter's runs were earned. The first came largely as a result of a wild pitch, and the second when Currier threw to Simons with a man on third, and the latter threw wild to the plate. In the last inning it looked as if the score might be tied, when a base on balls and two singles brought in one run, but Walsh struck out and ended the game. The Exeter team with the exception of Grattan put up a very good game of ball.

The score by innings: Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 R.  H.  E. Harvard,  1  0  2  0  1  0  0    x--4  8  3 Exeter,  0  0  1  1  0  0  0  0  1--3  7  5

Game With Maine This Afternoon.

In the third consecutive game of the week Harvard will play the University of Maine this afternoon at 4 o'clock on Soldiers Field. Slater will pitch, and Lanigan will play in left field. Dana will move to centre, and Pounds will remain in right.

A hard game is not expected this afternoon although the Maine team may take a brace. They have been defeated by Vermont, 3 to 0, but have also beaten the same team, 5 to 1. Yesterday a poor game was played with Tufts, in which the latter team won, 12 to 8. Tufts secured eight runs in the first two innings, after which Maine changed pitchers.

The batting orders:

HARVARD  MAINE.McCall, 2b.  2b., StanwoodBriggs, 1b.  l.f., PondLanigan, l.f.  c.f., ChaseSimons, s.s.  Ib.m MayoHarvey, 3b.  3b., CobbDana, c.f.  r.f., DowCurrier, c.  s.s., HigginsPounds, r.f.  Falton or SmithSlater, p.  p., Rya

Game With Maine This Afternoon.

The batting orders: