PUBLICATION OF THE BLACK-LIST

Annually at this time, and this year in greater proportions than ever, because the demand for football tickets is heavier, the speculation evil rises anew. Tickets are being sold by speculators on State street for upwards of $15, and the regular agencies in Boston are refusing to handle tickets for the game, because the speculators demand such exorbitant prices.

Of course these are exceptional cases, but it is also true that the temptation to dispose of an extra seat at a large profit is always present, and that some persons who have received tickets are proving unable to resist it. This selling of special privileges to outsiders while hundreds of graduates are trying in vain to buy tickets is reprehensible, of course, but we do not believe that it can be prevented by the measures now being used.

The publication of the black-list is a threat which has been often made, but it is beginning to lose force by repetition. Men do not greatly fear the risk of getting their names on the black-list as long as they are merely deprived of the right to apply for tickets in the future. It is too easy in such cases to procure tickets for personal use through some player or other friend. But if this list were made public each year it is not hard to believe that speculation would stop entirely and at once.

It has been proved that the methods now followed by the Athletic Association are insufficient, for speculation still continues after years of effort against it. If football continues to grow in popularity as it has in the past, and it seems likely to do so, the demand for tickets will be greater each year, and the abuse of ticket preferences will naturally increase. To combat this danger the publication of the black-list is the only sure means, and we believe that it is justifiable and advisable.