ATHLETICS DURING VACATION.

Before College opens after the spring recess, the crew, the baseball team, and the lacrosse team will have begun their schedules. This afternoon on the Charles the University crew rows against Columbia in what we hope will be a successful attempt to make up for the defeat of two years ago. Coach rice is an experienced leader, and although he has been obliged to make numerous eleventh-hour shifts in the Columbia boat, he will probably send out a very powerful crew. The University eight was considerably set back by Captain Severance's resignation in February, but fortunately a good man was available to take his place immediately, and no changes have been made since that time. The race today will be an excellent try-out for both the crews, and we trust that it will mark the beginning of another successful rowing season at Harvard.

Contrary to the usual custom the baseball team is starting on its southern trip before any of its scheduled games on Soldiers Field. But from what has been seen of the team at practice, the batting seems to be particularly good, and the fielding well up to the standard of past seasons. The games in the South should give the team the competition needed to fit it for the long series of games to come.

Of late years lacrosse has not been given the support which it deserves, but good teams have regularly been turned cut, and last year the championship of the Northern Intercollegiate League was won. In the South where lacrosse is flourishing Harvard is not generally successful, but perhaps this year's team will be able to turn the tables on its southern opponents.