Sweetser Won Tennis Championship

A. Sweetser '11 won the championship of the University in tennis for the second time yesterday, by defeating W. B. Fraser-Campbell '11 in straight sets, 8-6, 6-3, 6-2. The match was much more closely contested, however, than the score indicates, and nearly every game went to deuce. The serving of both men was very good at times, but double faults were frequent owing to attempts to place hard second serves. Sweetser's back-hand strokes were superior to those of Fraser-Campbell, and he was able to pass the latter frequently at the net. Of the two, Sweetser was the steadier and had the match well in hand practically all the time.

In the first set, both contestants played almost entirely a back-court game, resulting in several long rallies. The score wavered back and forth until Sweetser led with the score 7-6, and in the next game broke through his opponent's service for the set.

In the second set, each man won his own service until the sixth game was reached. Here Sweetser obtained a lead of two games by passing Fraser-Campbell, who was running in on his serves. The seventh game went to Fraser-Campbell, who made some excellent placement shots from the net. Sweetser ran out the set with the next two games, landing several excellent drives close to the side lines.

The third set was largely a repetition of the second, Fraser-Campbell running in on his service and allowing Sweetser to pass him frequently. Sweetser won the first two games, but lost the third. He won the fourth, fifth and sixth, however, making the score 5 to 1 in his favor. In the next game Fraser-Campbell won the first point by a hard drive on Sweetser's back-hand. He lost the next point, however, driving the ball out. The next two went to Sweetser on double faults, leaving the latter within one point of the match. Fraser-Campbell rose to the occasion by winning the next point on a hard smash after a clever placement. With the score at deuce, Sweetser drove the ball into the net. He brought the score back to deuce again, only to lose the next two points and the game. This was Fraser-Campbell's last stand, for he won only a single point in the last game, losing the last four points by successive drives into the net.

The final round in the doubles tournament in which A. Sweetser '11 and W. B. Fraser-Campbell '11 play E. R. McLane 2L. and E. P. Pearson 2L., will be played on Jarvis Field this afternoon at 2.45 o'clock.

The interclass tennis tournament will begin tomorrow. The captains of the class teams should hand in lists of the men on their teams before 6 o'clock tonight.