DEATH OF PROF. MORGAN '81

Funeral Tomorrow at 1 o'clock.--Appreciation by Professor Howard.

Professor Morris Hicky Morgan '81, professor of classical philology and marshal of the University, died at Newport, R. I., at 3 o'clock yesterday morning. The cause of his death was heart failure brought on by an attack of pneumonia. His death came as a shock, for it had been believed that he was rapidly recovering. The funeral services will be held in Appleton Chapel tomorrow at 1 o'clock. The Rt. Rev. William Lawrence '71, Bishop of Massachusetts, will officiate, assisted by the Rev. Prescott, Evarts '87, rector of Christ Church, Cambridge. All lectures and recitations in Cambridge departments of the University will be suspended tomorrow from 12 to 1 o'clock.

Morris Hicky Morgan was born in Providence, R. I., on February 8, 1859. He entered Harvard, after preparing at St. Mark's School, in 1877. While in College he was an editor of the "Echo," the predecessor of the CRIMSON.

After his graduation in 1881, he accepted the position of tutor in Latin and Greek at St. Mark's School, and two years later he became headmaster of the school. In 1884 he returned to the University as a student in classical philology. In 1887, after receiving the degrees of A.M. and Ph.D., he was appointed an instructor of Greek in the University, holding this position until, in 1891, he was promoted to an assistant professorship in Latin and Greek. Five years later he was made assistant professor of Latin, and the same year was chosen by the Corporation marshal of the Commencement exercises. On the death of Professor Frederic D. Allen in 1899, the chair of classical philology was left vacant, and to it Professor Morgan succeeded.

Not only in his own department, but in others also, was Professor Morgan an active force. He was chairman, in 1902, of the committee which designed the academic costume adopted by the Corporation, and in 1904 he was appointed chairman of the committee for drawing up the new requirements for the Bachelor of Arts degree with distinction.

His reputation as a scholar was not confined to Harvard alone; for in 1895 he was elected honorary member of Phi Beta Kappa, and the following year received the degree of LL.D. from Hobart College. He travelled extensively, and in 1904 lectured on Greek Literary Criticism at the Summer School of the University of California. He also published many works, including a Latin grammar and many translations of Greek and Latin authors. His latest works are "Addresses and Essays," and "A Bibliography of Persius." Just before his death, he gave his whole collection of books on the latter subject, consisting of some 660 works, to the College Library.

Professor Morgan was a member of the American Philological Association, the New Palaeographical Society, and the Hellenic Traveler's Club of London. He was a trustee of St. Mark's School, and since 1902 was a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.

Appreciation of Professor Morgan.

For the third time in as many years, the University is called upon to mourn the loss of a valued member of the Department of the Classics. Morris Hicky Morgan died yesterday morning at Newport, R. I., after an illness of about two months.

Graduating from Harvard College in 1881, Mr. Morgan, after teaching for a time in a secondary school, returned to the University as a student and received the degree of Ph.D. in 1887. He immediately entered the service of the University as a teacher, and, with the exception of a sabbatical year in Europe, has uninterruptedly given his best efforts to Harvard and its students.

As a teacher he was inspiring and effective, beloved and genuinely respected by his students for his accuracy and earnestness, and for his personal interest in them.

As an administrative officer he was energetic and progressive, with the keenest eye for details and a boundless capacity for accomplishment.

Possessed of a fine scholarly feeling, and an acute literary appreciation, in spite of a burden of administrative work which would have furnished ample employment for most men, he still found time for activity both as author and as editor. Only the day before his death a volume of fifteen essays and addresses was received by his friends, and a translation of the treatise of Vitruvius on ancient architecture was rapidly nearing completion, most of which had been read to a small circle of his friends, for their criticism and to their delight.

As a friend and colleague he was sincere and devoted, always ready to assume his share or even more than his share of the work, sympathetic to the last degree, and, though at times in manner somewhat brusque, at heart ever the kindest and gentlest of companions. His death is a serious loss to the University