First Outdoor Baseball Practice

Outdoor practice for the combined University and Freshman baseball squads was held on the Freshman diamond yesterday afternoon for the first time this spring. The ground was in excellent condition for so early in the season. Seven and a half innings were played between two picked teams, team B winning by a score of 11 to 3. For a first day the work of the squad was encouraging. The heaviest hitting was done by the men on team B, but both sides fielded quite well. No errors were made in the outfield by either side, and for the most part the ball was also handled cleanly in the infield, though the play here was not fast and in some cases was unintelligent.

At the bat, Bolton led with two doubles. Carr and Harvey each made a three base hit, and MacLaughlin got a double. In the University infield, Lanigan showed the best form, and his chances were handled accurately. Potter made several good stops, and Marshall fielded well, though he batted weakly.

The batteries were not changed with the innings, nor was any distinction made between the candidates for the University or Freshman teams. Hardy showed the best form of the four men who pitched during the game. Coach Kittredge acted as umpire and coached the batteries. As might be expected with so many new men on both sides, there was very little team-play, and Coach Pieper spent much time in instruction in signals and pivot plays.

The batting orders were as follows:

Team A.--DeWindt, Conant, l.f.; Kelly, Paul, c.f.; Kennedy, 1b.; Potter, 2b.; Lanigan, 3b.; Aronson, r.f.; Marshall, MacLaughlin, s.s.; Hardy, Marsh, Linehan, Davis, p.; Reeves, Young, Jordan, c.

Team B.--Carr, Foster, 3b.; Gibson, Twitchell, O'Connell, s.s.; Haydock, l.f.; Bolton, Ferguson, Frye, c.f.; Wilby, Johnson, 2b.; Rogers, Harvey, O'Flaherty, r.f.; Minot, Angell, 1b.