Third Hyde Lecture at 4 o'clock

M. Emile Boutroux will give the third Hyde lecture under the auspices of the Cercle Francais in the New Lecture Hall this afternoon at 4 o'clock. The subject will be "The Essence of Religion"; it will be given in French, and will be open to the public. The last Hyde lecture will be on next Tuesday, and its subject will be "The Contemporary Philosophical Movement in France."

Yesterday's Lecture by M. Boutroux.

M. Emile Boutroux delivered the fifth of his lectures on "Contingence at Liberte" in Emerson J yesterday afternoon. The subject was "Relation of Science and Feeling."

Positive science assumes things which are real in a definite order, and continually developing with variety and novelty; but could not experience, concrete consciousness, account for those characteristics which science finds in its objects, but whose explanation seems to contradict the scientific process itself? The basis of consciousness, however, is feeling. If we now consider feeling in its whole significance, we find that it necessarily involves reality. Feeling cannot be separated from faith in the real existence of things, therefore feeling supplies the existence of realities which science postulates. Something must exist, as there are beings endowed with feeling, so the reality of feeling must be recognized even by science. Thus we see that a rational harmony exists between the assumptions of science and faith in the value of feeling.