COLUMBIA DEFEATED, 5 TO 0

In First Intercolleglate League Game.--University Team Superior.

The University hockey team won its first game in the Intercollegiate Hockey League, defeating Columbia, 5 to 0, in a slow game at the Boston Arena last night. Winning this game makes the University team the with Cornell for first place in the league standing.

The University forwards tried to use team-play, but the Columbia team stayed very near its cage and broke up almost all attempts at combination play. This difficulty would have been over-come if the forwards had not tried to carry the puck so close to the goal before shooting. As in the game against St. Francis Xavier, the University forwards followed back well and aided materially in protecting the defence. The Columbia team was weak in all departments of the game, Harding and Trimble being the only men who could carry the puck for any distance.

The first goal was scored by Hornblower on a pass from Duncan, who had taken the puck from the middle of the rink to a position near the cage before he passed. A minute later Seamans carried the puck down the side of the rink and passed over in front of the goal to a scrimmage in which Trimble, the Columbia point, accidentally knocked the puck by Washburn for Harvard's second score. Almost immediately after the face-off Duncan again took the puck down the left side of the ice and passed across to Seamans, who scored. After about ten minutes, in which the play was evenly divided between the two goals, Duncan made the last score of the period on a pass from Pierce.

In the second half the speed of the play increased, but little effectual work was done on either side. The University team tried to take the puck in too far before shooting and as a result the team-play was broken up. The only score was made early in the period by Seamans on a pass from Hornblower.

The summary: HARVARD.  COLUMBIA. Pierce, Leslie, l.e.  r.e., Whitlock, Bangs Duncan, Childs, l.c.  r.c., Harding Hornblower, Gorham, r.c.  l.c., Bates Seamans, Pratt, r.e.  l.e., Lovejoy Huntington, Houston, c.p.  c.p., Dunden Foster, Blackall, p.  p., Trimble Chadwick, Gardner g.  g., Washburn

Score--Harvard, 5; Columbia, 0. Goals--Seamans 2, Hornblower, Trimble, Duncan. Penalties--(2 minutes) Harding, (1 minute) Bates, Pierce. Referee--W. C. Russell, Hockey Club, New York. Umpire--G. W. Tingley. Timers--M. E. Webb, Jr., Boston Globe, and R. S. Townsend '07, Boston Hockey Club. Time--20-minute halves.