YALE GAME LAMPOON NUMBER

Dean Castle Finds Today's Issue Amusing and in Good Financial Condition.

By W. R. Castle

According to "etatistics that have been complied"--so the Lampoon editor tells us it must be stated in the CRIMSON--the Yale Game number of the Lampoon is the largest ever published, the reading matter alone exceeding the former record by twelve pages. As to the advertisements--all college men should be glad to see the Lampoon in such a flourishing condition financially. It is obvious that mere bulk is not necessarily an advantage. I have known periods, even in the history of the Lampoon, when it would have been a distinct disadvantage to all but the sleepless at the Infirmary, but during the past few months, I think, we have all welcomed extra pages. This time the twelve additional pages of reading matter not to mention the new advertisements--make the paper just long enough to carry us joyously through the intermissions at the Game, to add the spice of laughter to our content or to lighten--but the Lampoon nowhere suggests gloom.

It is said that when the drawing for the frontispiece arrived the editors sat in speechless joy for an entire evening in their sanctum. Certainly Mr. Flagg, an honorary editor of the paper, has done a brilliant piece of work that sets a high standard for the drawings. And almost all are good, some very funny in themselves, some admirably illustrating the verses that accompany them. The caricatures are excellent, especially the clever pictorial review of the Blue Bird. The whole number, however, overflows with a good, healthy, fantastic humor. It never descends into profundity, is not boastful as some Yale Game numbers have been, but is as ready to make high-spirited fun of our own failures as of those of our guests. No one but a man without humor could find anything to irritate him and every man can find something to laugh at. I hope the boys who sell the paper on the way to the Field will do a rushing business. They are not speculators so every purchaser will get full value for his money.