OARS HAVE EXCITING TIMES

THREE RACES AND A YALE 1917 BANNER LIVEN THE DAY AT RED TOP.

Harvard Training Quarters, Red Top, Conn., June 9, 1914. This morning's rowing was featured by a half-mile brush up-stream between the first and second University crews and the Freshman eight. The ebbing tide and a light northeast wind made conditions fairly fast. At the finish line, each boat over-lapped the other, coming in in the order named above. Two minutes and twenty seconds was the unofficial time.

Two races were run off in the afternoon. At 6 o'clock the northeast breeze braced around into the south west, and, with the tide at the flood the first and second University boats lined up on the two-mile mark. The race was close and exciting throughout. At one time the first was nearly a length ahead, but the second cut the lead to a question of feet at the finish just off the float. The unofficial time for the race was 9.30. In the next race, the substitute or "gentlemen's" four, consisting of the two University subs., Busk and Herrick, and the two Freshman subs, Lovell and Baker, outstripped the Freshman four by a full length in one mile. The unofficial time was 5.32.

The greatest excitement of the day occurred when the Freshman cox., Cameron, rushed exhausted into camp with the Yale 1917 banner in his arms. The capture of the blue flag was well planned and great delight greeted his success.