SECOND CREW BEATS 1917 TWICE

Two Races Feature Day's Work-out.--Regulars in Time Triale.

Harvard Training Quarters, Red Top, Conn., June 5, 1914.--Two races between the University second crew and the Freshman eight featured the training program today. The University substitutes were victorious in both encounters. In the morning the Freshmen were easily defeated over a half-mile course, both boats using a very low stroke. At seven o'clock in the evening, the two crews again met. After a two-mile race the second boat led the 1917 oarsmen by a full two lengths, although the latter rowed a considerably higher stroke.

Wind a Handicap.

Practice during the forenoon was very much hindered by a strong northwest wind, which kicked up a shorp chop in the river. All the boats took short paddies, however. The row was delayed for some time when Harwood, at 4 in the University crew, broke his rigger while holding his oar deep to steady the boat in a launch's wake.

The wind subsided during the afternoon, and by 7 o'clock the water calmed enough for all the boats to go out again. The University crew had a time trial over the regular four-mile course, and although the work was satisfactory, no time was given out.

The only change in order made during the day was in the Freshman boats Culbert of the 1917 four-oared and Higginson, number 2 in the eight, changed places.