PROF. JOHNSTON EDITOR OF NEW MILITARY QUARTERLY

First Number of "The Military Historian and Economist" to be Issued Next Month.

A new quarterly, "The Military Historian and Economist," edited by Professor R. M. Johnston and Captain A. L. Conger '94, U. S. A., of the Army service schools, will be published by the University Press.

The policy of the editors is to secure the best experts in foreign countries, as well as in the United States, in order to maintain the highest and most authoritative standard possible within the field indicated. The preliminary statement of the new quarterly expresses the hope that "'The Military Historian and Economist' will appeal not merely to army and navy officers anxious to keep abreast with the theory of their profession, but to the plain man of business who realizes that the isolation of this country has gone forever, that the clash of armies is merely the most violent incident of increasingly sharp trade competition, and that modern doctrines of the conduct of war repose largely on economic foundations."

The contents of the first number, January, 1916, will be:

Hostile Submarine Action and the American Seaboard, Contre-Admiral Degouy; Sources for the History of the Mexican War, 1846-48, Justin H. Smith; Fort Donelson, A. L. C.; the Question of Guam, B. H. Richard; Financing the "Armed Nation," Professor O. M. W. Sprague; Editorials: Our Programme; Admiral Degouy; National Defense; The Records of the War of the Revolution; Frontage and Depth. Economic Notes; Tactical Notes; Book Reviews; The Journal of Major-General D. S. Stanley.

The advisory board of the Quarterly consists of Professor C. J. Bullock, Professor A. B. Hart '80, Major J. W. McAndrew, U. S. A., Professor E. V. D. Robinson, J. H. Smith, and Professor O. M. W. Sprague '94.