TRACK MEN STARRED IN MEET

BINGHAM AND WILLCOX FEATURED IN 780 AND 390-YARD EVENTS.

Carrying off three firsts, four seconds, and two third places, and being shut out only in the 40-yard dash and Freshman relay race, the University representatives made an excellent showing in the indoor handicap games of the I. A. A. A. held in Mechanics Building Saturday night.

Especially fine form was displayed in the 390 and 780-yard runs, won by W. Willcox '17 and W. J. Bingham '16, respectively, each starting from scratch. Each event was won from a strong field, Bingham running against 28 men, and passing 8 with a terrific burst of speed in the last lap. In the 390-yard race, Willcox, after getting but third in his trial heat, came through with a similar finish and just barely defeated T. R. Penny-packer '16 and M. A. Connor of the B. A. A.

Of other especial interest was the 1000-yard run for the Mayor Curley trophy. In this event, J. T. Higgins defeated W. R. Granger of Dartmouth, J. Ryan of the B. A. A., and Melvin Shepard of the Millrose A. A. of New York, in the order named in the time of 2 minutes and 19 seconds, breaking the record for the Mechanics Building track.

The results of the events in which the University track men competed are as follows:

440-yard run, novice.--Won by H. W. Minot '17, A. O. Phinney '17, second; M. C. Brock, (M. I. T.), third. Time, 55 sec.

390-yard run.--Won by W. Willcox '17; T. R. Pennypacker '16, second; M. A. Connor, (B. A. A.), third. Time, 47 2-5 sec.

40-yard dash.--Won by T. W. Loomis, (M. I. T.); T. Doyle, (Worcester Academy), second; J. F. McLaughlin (B. A. A.), third. Time, 4 4-5 sec.

780-yard run.--Won by W. J. Bingham '16, scratch; H. R. Bechtel '17, 38 yds., second; J. H. Hutchinson, (B. A. A.), 28 yds., third. Time, 1 min., 48 3-5 sec.

One-mile run.--Won by J. A. Powers, (B. A. A.), scratch; H. R. Bechtel '17, 95 yds., second; C. A. Crowley, (Malden H. S.), 85 yds., third. Time, 4 min., 31 1-5 sec.

Running high jump.--Won by Walter Whelan, (B. A. A.), 4 in., height, 6 ft. 2 1-2 in.; H. C. Allen, (Volkmann), 2 in height, 6 ft., 1 in., second; J. O. Johnstone '16, scratch, height, 6 ft., 1-2 in third.

Relay race.--Harvard 1918: (E. E. Silver, D. Little, V. E. Likins, R. U. Whitney) vs. Worcester Academy: (T. Doyle C. Shay, W. Chamberlain, S. Fitts).--Won by Worcester Academy. Time 8 min., 14 1-5 sec.

16-pound shot-put.--Won by J. C. Lawler, (I. A. A. A.), scratch, distance, 44 ft., 9 1-4 in.; F. B. Withington '15, 6 ft., distance, 44 ft., 7 1-2 in., second; C. Wyman, (B. A. A.), 6 ft., 11 in., distance 44 ft., 2 in., third