QUINQUENNIAL ISSUED TODAY

MANY UNUSUAL FEATURES EMBODIED IN LATEST OF GRADUATE RECORDS

The 1915 Quinquennial Catalogue comes out this morning; and will be on sale at the University Alumni Office, 50 State street, Boston, and at Kent's University Book Store, at $3 a copy.

Several changes, intended to increase the Catalogue's interest, have been introduced this year by Mr. Charles Chester Lane '04, Director of the University Press, who has had charge of the publication of the volume. A list of all those who have held professorships in the University, under the heading of named professorships, has been substituted, at the beginning of the book, for the long lists of professors, tutors, instructors and other officers of the Uni- versity which have appeared in earlier issues. This list is supplemented by a longer alphabetical list of all officers of instruction and administration. In the class lists, the first ten scholars are indicated by italic numerals, in the order of rank, in all cases where this could be ascertained. Undergraduate distinctions, won by candidates for the degrees of Bachelor of Arts or Science, are indicated by abbreviations of cum laude, magna cum laude, and summa cum laude, as well as the field in which distinction was won. Academic positions are noted only in the case of permanent appointments, such as presidencies and professorships. The list of learned societies in which membership is credited, has been, of necessity, curtailed, for it is apparent that the rapidly growing list of graduates necessitates some economy of space. Mr. Lane has, however, succeeded in giving every graduate who has attained distinction in academic work his right place in the company of scholars.

One of a Series of Alumni Records.

The 1915 Quinquennial is the most recent of a long series of interesting volumes, well calculated to preserve the roll of Harvard graduates. The first complete list of this kind was probably issued in 1674. Only one copy if this is known to exist, and is kept in the State Paper Office in London. A photograph of this volume has recently been given to the University by Mr. Edward Bell '04, of the American Embassy at London