ELEVEN PROVED IMPERVIOUS

SECOND TEAM FOUND STONE WALL WHEN CHARGING AGAINST FIRST LINE.

In a hard, well-fought scrimmage yesterday afternoon, the University football team scored five times on the second team. The seconds were unable to make a single first down the few times they had the ball and could make no headway against the University's hard playing. Practically every man on the squad was sent into the scrimmage and the substitutes were able to gain almost as easily as the regulars.

The University was given the ball in the middle of the field and by a series of short rushes advanced it to the seconds ten-yard line, where it was lost on an incompleted forward pass. G. C. Caner '17 then blocked a punt and the University recovered it. A couple of short rushes and a penalty against the second team brought the ball to the ten-yard line, and R. Horween '18 carried it the remaining distance for a clean touchdown.

Soon after the resumption of scrimmage, E. Ginn '18 intercepted a long forward pass from E. I. Casey '19, but the second team was held and had to punt. The punt was short and Casey ran it back to the 15-yard line and a few minutes later took it over for a touchdown. W. F. Robinson '18 kicked the goal. The third score came after M. Phinney '19 had recovered a second fumble, when R. H. Hitchcock '19 crossed the goal line. H. W. Minot '17 made a long 30-yard run after the ball was put in play again, and one more first down brought it to the 5-yard line from which S. Burnham '19 went over for the fourth University score. The final score was the result of a forward pass over the goal line from W. B. Felton '19 to W. Gaston '19.

T. C. Thacher '18 and C. A. Clark '19 were dressed to play yesterday afternoon but they did not get into the scrimmage. The lineup was as follows:

C. A. Coolidge, Phinney, Gaston, l.e.

Wheeler, Hartley, l.t.

Dadmun, Davis, l.g.

Harris, Sagar, Thorndike, Wiggin, c.

Day, Dean, r.g.

Caner, Richards, r.t.

Harte, Brewer, Batchelder, r.e.

Robinson, Murray, Gardner, Felton, c.

Hitchoock, Horne, l.h.b.

Horween, Burnham, r.h.b.

Casey, Willcox, Minot, f.b.