REGISTRATIONS BEGIN TODAY

UNIVERSITY MEMBERS CAN VOTE IF QUALIFICATIONS ARE MET WITH.

Registration for all members of the University who are eligible to vote at the state elections to be held this fall, will take place on the night of October 13 in the Ward Room of the city building, Brattle square, from 7.30 to 9 o'clock, and today, tomorrow, Wednesday and Friday of this week as well as October 16 and 17 at the city building, Central square, at the same time; on October 14, from 4 to 9 P. M., and on October 18 from 9 A. M. to 10 P. M. At this time registration will close and the registrars will not, until after next election, add any name to the registers, except the names of voters examined as to their qualifications between March 31, 1916, and 10 o'clock, October 18.

To be eligible to vote a student must be 21, and have resided a year in the state and six months in Cambridge. In summing up a recent case dealing with eligibility of a student voter, Judge R. F. Raymond '94 said, "Sojourning here for the purpose of gaining an education does not make one a resident under our voting laws. Going to Harvard College" or any other college, "to be educated simply as a student does not give one the right to be assessed and registered there unless there exist the two things I have stated and emphasized--to wit, that he actually went there to make his residence with the intent to abandon the residence from which he came, to adopt this as his residence not merely for the definite time of his college course, four years, but an indefinite time with that interest to make it his residence."

Every applicant must be self-supporting and he must bring with him when he registers two witnesses to testify to his means of self-support and to his residing in Cambridge the required time. Another quotation from Judge Raymond states, "The applicant for registration must call two witnesses who shall testify under oath. . . ...Those witnesses shall be residents of the ward or town from which the applicant comes. . . . The witness is supposed to testify to the facts which he personally knows. . . . The laws requires that there be three men who have knowledge in the matter and you can see that it would be a perfect farce to say that everything testified there by one or two or three shall be based on what the applicant says, because you have not anything other than the young man's statement then. There must be three personalities there with personal knowledge of the things they affirm in order to comply with the terms of this statute, and to give one the right to assessment and registration under this statute.