Pictures Give Bad Impression.

Communication

(We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest, but assume no responsibility for sentiments expressed under this head.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:--

My eye fell by chance just now on the 1918 Freshman Red Book. Opening it, I found first a picture of President Lowell, and a dedication of the book to him by the Class of 1918. Turning over the page, one finds the "Contents" headed by a picture of a young gentleman whose eye is fastened in a bloodthirsty way on a bottle of champagne, and facing this at the end of "Contents" a loathsome picture of the same young gentleman intoxicated to the point of bestiality.

The graduates interested in securing more favorable knowledge of Harvard in this country have looked for literature suitable to send to schools where it may reach prospective students and their parents. I can imagine nothing having a more disastrous effect on Harvard's reputation than the disgusting lack of ideals exhibited by this volume, which doubtless went to the homes of many Freshmen.

It is unfortunately true that the same theme is frequently harped upon in "class reunion" literature, and even occasionally in that of the meetings of the Associated Harvard Clubs.

Is there nobody in College who will make it a point to try to stop the publication of such pictures and of writings of the same import within the College? Yours Sincerely,   GEORGE S. JACKSON '05.