FALL WORK UNDER MITCHELL

CONTRACT WITH BRAVES PREVENTS HIS RETURNING IN SPRING.

Head Coach Fred Mitchell who piloted the 1916 baseball team through its phenomenal season, ending with double victories over Princeton and Yale, will again be on hand to instruct the University players throughout the fall practice season, according to arrangements which were completed yesterday morning. However, owing to a three-year contract with the Boston Braves, he will not be available as mentor of the 1917 nine, and so the autumn practice is rendered doubly important. The baseball management is as yet undecided as to his successor, and the new coach will probably not be appointed until December, or perhaps even later.

The call for candidates for fall practice will be issued within a week and at that time all men who expect to come out next spring should report, except those who are playing football. Freshmen also are eligible to take part in the practice and should avail themselves of this opportunity to get expert coaching with the University players. The season will last as long as the weather permits and a team usually known as the "Harvard Rovers" will be formed, which will play a schedule of two or three games a week with various nines in the vicinity.

Manager Competitions After Mid-Years.

The competitions for second assistant manager of the University baseball team and manager and assistant manager of the Freshman team will not begin until after mid-years.