REGULAR HOCKEY TO BE GIVEN UP.

No University or Freshman Sevens this Year, States F. W. Moore.

According to the statement issued yesterday by Fred W. Moore '93, graduate treasurer of the University athletic committee, the possibility of a hockey team being organized this winter is small. Unless conditions are changed in the near future no attempt will be made to support even an informal team conducted on a basis similar to that of the present football squad. This announcement is another manifestation of the manner in which the University has subordinated athletics to military training.

It was stated that the abandonment of University hockey would be extended to include freshman activities in that sport.

The reason for this action may be found in Mr. Moore's assertion that "the undergraduate body is too occupied with war." If there should be any hockey in the university it will be confined to contests between the companies and battalions of the R. O. T. C. A final decision is deferred until further organization of the training corps is made and the opinions of the members of the regiment known.

The prospects for a successful informal team are not as favorable as they were for football, and the coach of the seven would encounter many difficulties. No member of last year's hockey team has returned this year. Captain G. A. Percy '18, is a lieutenant in the Marine Corps.