THE UNIVERSITY'S COURSE

The impression conveyed in an editorial published in yesterday's CRIMSON concerning the probable course of the University authorities after the declaration of war seems to have been some-what exaggerated. The authorities have no intention of cutting short the college year for everyone, or of turning the entire University into a military training school. Such action would be obviously unfair to those who for one reason or another are ineligible for service.

Upon the declaration of war, however, it has been suggested that those men who go into a training camp, whether at the University or elsewhere, or into the service of the Government in any other way, will probably be given examinations in their College courses in advance of the regular period and their work for the year thus terminated and out to their credit. This would apply presumably to members of the Naval Reserve and of the State Militia, and for those enrolled in the Flying Corps. For other students who do not enter Government service the regular courses of instruction will continue throughout the academic year as usual.

The question as to the possibility of establishing a military training camp at the University for members of the R. O. T. C., whether at once or during the summer, is as yet unsettled. In the event of such a camp being opened here before the conclusion of the academic year, members of the R. O. T. C. would probably be required to give their whole time to military training, and by taking advantage of the special examinations would terminate the rest of their College work.

The plan of holding special examinations for those who are to enroll in the service of their country is an excellent one. By means of these examinations men will earn their degrees or promotions instead of receiving complimentary ones as is often done in time of war. There are of course, various practical questions in regard to these examinations, such as the best methods to use in order to insure fair treatment for all. At the Faculty meeting on next Tuesday those questions will be raised and discussed and some satisfactory solution of all difficulties will be found.

At all events it is certain that this time as always in periods of national need the University stands ready to render to the Government any service, consistent with maintaining the regular course of instruction, which the War Department may demand.