NEW WORKS IN FOGG MUSEUM

Gifts to University Collection Include Art Pieces by Turner, Whistler, and La Farge.

During the last few weeks the Fogg Art Museum has been more than usually active. In addition to numerous valuable gifts there have been various loans, some of which are now on exhibition. The following is a brief summary of the more important permanent acquisitions:

From Edward Detraz Bettens '73 (who recently presented to the Museum John Sargent's oil pointing of "Lake O'Hara") a watercolor, "Bridle Path, Tahita," by John La Farge; and "Sunday at Domberg," a watercolor by James McNeill Whistler.

From Dr. Denman Waldo Ross '75 (in addition to the gift of a very large collection of fine Japanese prints) 10 watercolor drawings by Dodge MacKnight; three watercolors, one by J. M. W. Turner; five important Japanese screens; two important Japanese paintings; one splendid Chinese painting of a Corean gentleman; and important examples of Chinese porcelain.

From Henry Goldman, an altarpiece, "Madonna and Child," by Spinelio Apretino.

The Museum has received the following permanent and temporary loans: From a friend of the Museum, two bronzes by Paul Manship, "Centaur and Nymph" and "Dancer and Gazelies"; also an oil painting by James McNeill Whistler, "Symphony in blue and silver--Trouville." From J. Pierpont Morgan '89, 26 original drawings by Rembrandt, now on view in the Print Room. From Messrs. Duveen Bros., of New York City, a "Madonna and Child," by Matteo da Siena, and a "Madonna Adoring the Child," by Piero di Cosimo, on exhibition in the gallery. From Mortimer L. Schiff, the Cogswell collection of original drawings by old masters.