The Musical Club Ocncert

By Edward B. Hill .

The 11th annual concert of the Harvard Musical Club showed clearly that despite war conditions, and attractive and well-composed program could be carried through with the customary high standards of performance long since established by this organization.

Messrs. Smith and Thompson gave evidence of careful preparation in their numbers for two pianos. After the vigorous concerto movement by Back, Reynaldo Uahn's delicate pieces, "To Lull a Convalescent," afford a poignant indication as to the reaction of the war upon a sensitive Gaelic mind. Two songs by Verlaine F. Hinners '19 to texts by Vervain were sung by Dr. Davison with a romantic appreciation of their atmospheric contents, and with no slight interpretative skill. The piquant Terzetto by Dyorak, with its inimitable Scherzo was excellently played by Messrs. Gammons Baker and Hoffmann. Duets by Hershey and Brahms were sung in so spired a manner by Miss Anne Gardner and Dr. Davison as to provoke an inevitable encore.

The concert ended with a well-balanced performance of Brahms' familiar in B Major, in which Mr. Hinners and Mr. Hoffmann were ably assisted by Miss Hazel L'Africain, 'cellist. Mr. Hinners played discriminating accompaniments, and displayed unusual capacity as an ensemble pianist in the Trio.