CREWS MAY BE LAUNCHED ON CHARLES MONDAY AFTERNOON

Work for Today Will Consist of Rowing on Machines Under Haines and Brown.

According to present indications, no crews will be put on the river until Monday, but it is more than likely that shells can be launched that afternoon, as a considerable stretch of open water has appeared below the Anderson Bridge. It was not until March 17 last year that the University oarsmen took to the Charles, though the first two boats were launched in Lynn Harbor several days before that. Despite the earlier start which Coach Haines will have this year, however, considerable hard work must be put in to overcome the advantage in actual rowing which Yale will have had over the University, as the Elis had their first workout in shells two days ago. Contrary to expectations the tank has not yet been flooded, but will be ready on Monday. Today the machine work will continue in the Locker Building as usual, under the supervision of Coaches Haines and Brown.

1921 oarsmen give promise of developing a powerful crew, as there are candidates of considerable experience in both the first and second shells. T. T. Pond at four, S. Damon at seven, W. Davis at bow, and J. N. Borland, 2d, stroke, all held places in the first Freshman boat during the fall rowing, and rowed regularly on the Boston Latin, Milton Academy, Pomfret and Groton crews, respectively. The remaining oarsmen, though they did not participate in the fall training all held places on their school crews.