THE RESURRECTION

If the Republican Senators thought they had the Treaty safely in its grave, they must be exceedingly surprised to find the supposed corpse very much alive and kicking. The gentlemen of the Upper House could not have seriously believed that the country would let them commit their crime without molestation. The fury of indignation that has swept not only America, but the whole world--except Germany, of course--cannot have startled them much; or if it did, it does not speak; well for their intelligence.

Tonight in Sanders Theatre there is to be held a meeting that will be far from one of mourning, except for the part that the United States has been forced to play in all this mess. The purpose of the meeting is to crystallize public opinion in Cambridge, and to make the people who have been blocking the Treaty see that it is the will of the country that they forget their petty squabbles and peanut politics and come to an agreement that will bring the Treaty into operation as quickly as possible. On Monday, the Senate reconvenes, and it is the intention of the would be assassins to block any action on the Treaty of Versailles. They talk of setting internal troubles, letting the matter of the ratification of the Treaty go another year, and making it a party issue next fall. It has been a party issue long enough. Verily it may he said of the Wilful Fifty that having eyes they see not; having ears they hear not. May the Sanders Theatre meeting utter a few thoughts loud enough to make the blind and deaf ones in Washington leave off their pettifogging for a moment and give heed.